Opened in 1906, the Muhlenberg Branch is one of 65 branches built from funds given to New York City by Andrew Carnegie. Designed by famed architects Carrère and Hastings, the library has served the Chelsea area for nearly a century.
In 2000, the branch was renovated through the Library’s Adopt-A-Branch program. Care was taken to preserve the historic character of the building. The refurbished branch has an adult and young adult area on the main floor; a children’s room with a story hour space on the second floor; and a community room for public programs and meetings on the third floor. The branch is now fully accessible to wheelchairs.
The project included the gut renovation of the facility, addition of ADA accessible features, such as an elevator and ramp, along with support for HVAC systems and their penetrations through a difficult construction type: a terra cotta arch.