PS 157 serves grades K-3 in Brooklyn’s Clinton Hill neighborhood. It was built in 1907 and is one of the city’s historic Snyder schools. Over the years it suffered from deferred maintenance. Steel columns and spandrel beams were corroding, causing the fracture of surrounding brick masonry and terra cotta.
The project involved investigation and probes to evaluate the condition of the steel, anchorage of the terra cotta, and condition of the terra cotta itself, then extensive removal and replacement of the terra cotta.
The steel was repaired, scraped, painted and flashed before the exterior restoration. The elaborate exterior details and interior finishes were restored. The restoration included 6,000 terra cotta units from 310 molds to match the original trim and parapet ornamentation.