Silman assisted in the renovation and addition to historic St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. The old brick chapel was the first built in Washington, DC originally constructed in 1719, replaced in 1775, remodeled in 1868, burned to the ground in 1921, and then finally reconstructed to the 1775 design. It is a beautiful one-story brick church with a central entrance tower and projecting chancel.
A major restoration and refurbishment of the historic church began in February, 2004. This included the provision of a marble floor, as well as new altar and chancel furnishings designed to harmonize with the eighteenth century period style of the building. A new addition was also added.
The existing building was 20,843 square feet, and the 11,000 square foot addition was designed as a single-story U-shaped building with two partial basements. Silman provided structural services that included designing a structural system for the addition, accommodating a new elevator and new mechanical systems, and new mezzanine framing.