This project converted the upper levels of an eight-story cast-in-place concrete structure from automotive services into laboratory, research, and clinical facilities. The Art Deco building, designed by Albert Kahn and completed in 1927 for the Packard Motor Company, has large floor plates and high ceilings that make it well-suited for life science and healthcare tenants. Automobile showrooms will remain on the ground floor.
Silman’s engineers first conducted non-destructive testing to establish typical reinforcing layouts in existing structural elements. A new two-story steel-framed vertical addition features a green 12,000 sf rooftop deck and includes future flexibility for incoming tenants.
Within the existing building, Silman created double-height office spaces and added a new elevator and stair core. The firm’s engineers are now involved in fit-outs to tailor the interior for anchor tenants including the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, which has plans to lease several levels for outpatient facilities, a surgery center, and biotech research. Silman is evaluating and augmenting the existing structure’s capacity as required for diagnostic machinery, generators, air handlers, and other medical and life science related units.