The Beaux-Arts style Battery Maritime Building first opened in 1909 and serviced ferry rides up and down the East River and throughout New York Harbor. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976. New York City’s subway system continues to run underneath the three-story building’s steel structure, which is supported by a substructure of wood piles that reach the bedrock.
Silman recently provided structural engineering services for the reinforcement of the existing building and the construction of a glass-clad vertical expansion. The renovated interior now contains a boutique hotel with a rooftop restaurant, a new multi-use food venue, live performance space, and areas for art installations and exhibits.
A previous project, completed with Jan Hird Pokorny Associates, involved a complete investigation and analysis of the structure followed by an exterior restoration. Work included the removal of exterior cast iron, sheet steel, stucco, other cast materials, and all decorative materials, which were then restored or replaced to match the original appearance. Silman’s scope also included restoring the Guastavino tile vaulting in the north double-height loggia.