This monumental courthouse, one of the last prominent designs of the noted architect Cass Gilbert, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also a New York City landmark. The 1936 Neoclassical building features a 30-story tower and 35 courtrooms.
Silman provided structural engineering services for the building’s first comprehensive interior and exterior renovation and restoration. Interior work involved a full upgrade of the building’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection, security, audio visual and telecommunications, and life-safety systems. Exterior work involved facade and window restoration, and the design of a large green roof.
The project was completed under a GSA Design Excellence contract and has been awarded LEED Silver certification.